Friday, June 10, 2011

Cherries

Cherry Jam, anyone? This poem is my contribution to June 13 Poetry Jam.

Faithful chef NanU is stirring the pot again, and this week's challenge is to choose a picture and see where it takes us.This one takes me back, back to an innocent time before I knew where else I'd go.

To read other takes on the Poetry Jam prompts, go here. Why not join the Jam? It's sweet!


CHERRIES

I remember the longest branch
of the black cherry tree,

how we swung bare feet
to the music in our heads

and shot round stones
as far as we could blow.

I remember dreams we had
of the places we would go

and kisses in the leaves
as warm and sweet as summer,

as full of promise as the juices of the fruit
we plucked from that young tree.

11 comments:

  1. A nice childhood memory to share - thanks!

    I think I will check out the Jam - sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen you are much better at dreaming than I. For me once I read of the tree all I could dream of was an over stuffed, flaky crust started with flour and lard *mwah* cherry pie, my favorite. Still warm from the oven. So at the least your wonderful imagery took me back to my grandmother's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember spitting those cherry pits .. how much fun we had. I also remember my cousin falling from our grandmother's cherry tree ~ and breaking her wrist!

    Your poem is one big warm fuzzy memory ~ of all the endless possibilities and everything we dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yum!
    I have two cherry trees in my postage-stamp back garden, and I'm training them to be bonsai trees. One's a Queen Anne, one's a Van. Every year they are loaded. They're near ripe these days. No one except possibly a praying mantis will ever swing from them. But I will spit a cherry stone over the fence next week in honor of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. used to have a cherry tree in the neighbors yard and would eat them on summer nights till we got sick, sitting up among the branches...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this poem - it brings back those long ago summer days when we really thought all our dreams would come true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carefully chosen words evoke a lovely warm memory

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely the

    and shot round stones
    as far as we could blow.

    that pulls me back to it in this poem. Still trying to work out why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a wonderful poem of cherries and young love! A delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this poem, really takes me back to summers past!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first visit to your site and you have beautiful words here. Your memory is touching and takes one back to a warm Summer day. I, too, am now a grandmother and experiences from life make writing rich.

    ReplyDelete